[GLLUG] Burnbox Future

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Fri Apr 27 16:26:04 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
"Clay Dowling" <clay at lazarusid.com> wrote:

> Okay, I completely forgot to bring this up last night when we were all
> assembled, but I'm gonna bring it up here.
>
> At the con and afterwards I had a few requests for copies of the
> burnbox software, which is a very cool thing.  The question is, how
> do we want to handle it?  In the strictest sense, because no money
> changed hands, Burnbox is my intellectual property and I can do with
> it as I darned well please.  The reality is though that it's always
> been done as something for GLLUG, and I want to see how the group
> feels about it.
>
> The obvious thing to do is release it as an open source project.  As
> somebody who is trying to bring a source code management tool to
> market, I'd also like to host the project on my server, or at least a
> server running my software suite (subversion, CVSTrac and my SQLite3
> authentication module).  Is this a route that would be acceptable, or
> do people have strong feelings that it should be released in some
> other manner?

I have no objections to this.  Given its heavy prominence at Penguicon,
it certainly does seem like it should be open source.  My only requests
for it are:
* It should have a website somewhere (so you can give yourself a pat on
the back)
* with a list of requested features, so others can contribute
* and a bug tracker of some kind.

The rest you seem to have well in hand.  :)

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com