[GLLUG] East Lansing internet provider options

Nick Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 14 07:24:00 EDT 2007

What cross-street are you located near?  There are many DSL providers in the
area, including ACD.net, TDS Metrocom, SBC (shudder), Earthlink, etc.
However, DSL technologies are dependant on how far away from the telephone
wire-center (central office).

I've used ACD.net, Arialink, and TDS in the past.  ACD.net is great once the
service is actually running, and is stable as a rock.  Arialink I had no
issues with, but they are very limited to who they provide service to
(apartment dwellers, pretty much), and TDS is good, but their tech-support
is not very good.  Max speed will be about the same for all the above.

Depending on where you are, you may also be eligible for a WISP (wireless
ISP).  Often these are cheaper than cable, but do not have as much
reliability or features.

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 Michigan State University Telecom Systems