[GLLUG] Trickle logs to a DVD-R disk?

Ed Thomson ethomson at edwardthomson.com
Fri Aug 24 09:29:06 EDT 2007

Mark-

I've never streamed logs to removable media.  Real-time streaming to
CD/DVD or tape sounds like it might be difficult, as you'd probably
have write buffer underruns (and probably coasters) or tape hitching,
respectively.

You could have a cron job copy the syslogs every few minutes to a
safe location and put them on a media that you could append to.
Presumably this is DVDs due to their large storage capacity, you can
keep appending logs for quite a while.  My concerns with this would
be that one bad session could compromise your logs, and that a good
attacker would notice this and may be able to disable it before logs
of his activity got written.  But those are pretty minor concerns,
this doesn't sound like a bad solution.

To offer an alternative, we use a dedicated loghost for this sort of
thing.  We have a machine which is firewalled such that it only
allows (authenticated, encrypted) inbound connections on the syslog
port, and allows no outbound connections.  (We log in on the console
only.)  We firewall it at the kernel level via iptables as well as on
our core router.  It dumps logs to tape nightly.  We feel that this
is appropriately secure for our needs:  it's unlikely that anybody
could get in to the loghost, unless there's a major remote-
exploitable vulnerability in syslog.

Cheers-

-Ed