[GLLUG] Trickle logs to a DVD-R disk?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Fri Aug 24 09:59:50 EDT 2007

Lachniet, Mark wrote:
> Right, I do the same thing for Windows boxes and firewalls and such (Kiwi and Sawmill will go a long way) but I was hoping for something self-contained.  Thanks!
>
> Mark Lachniet
> Solutions Architect - Security
> 3101 Technology Blvd. Suite A
> Lansing, MI 48910
> (517) 336-1004 (voice)
> mailto:mlachniet at analysts.com
>

> ________________________________

Mark,

You are essentially looking for "read and append-only" media.  Hard
drives are much more reliable interim storage mediums (in terms of
physical reliability).  So, essentially, you are after a hard drive that
can't overwrite existing data (perhaps a DIP/jumper switch setting) and
can act in a streaming fashion - a sort of "write-once/read-many" type
of thing.

AFAIK, such a hard drive doesn't exist and I also am pretty sure there
isn't an appropriate filesystem either (although there might be
something in the "tape system" genre - treat the hard drive like a tape
drive).  But it is something to think about.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1