[GLLUG] MS's WGA servers fail

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Mon Aug 27 13:06:30 EDT 2007

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 20:17 -0400, Thomas Hruska wrote:
>> Michael Rudas wrote:
>>> Wow!  Talk about a "single point of failure."  The problem seems to
>>> have been (mostly) fixed.  Still...
>>>
>>> "Microsoft WGA servers down; XP and Vista installs marked as counterfeit"
>>> <http://www.boingboing.net/2007/08/25/microsoft_wga_server.html>
>>>
>>> -- Mikey
>> Hmm...interesting.  I wonder if this is directly related to the problems
>> Microsoft had/is having:
>>
>> http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2007/08/windows-update-updating-without.html
>>
>> (Sequence of events:  Worldwide update occurs -> WGA servers barf ->
>> User PCs disabled.  Awfully coincidental...)
>
> It looks like Boing Boing updated the story with your info.

Yup.  Didn't think they would.  The connection between the two events is
_speculative_ at the moment but there is a high probability that I'm
right on the money (it is pretty suspicious how, hours after I document
the update, users complain about WGA flagging them as counterfeit).  It
would be nice to get confirmation from Microsoft...but then they would
have to admit to:

1)  Pushing out an update that users couldn't choose to approve/deny.
2)  All the WGA servers going down as a result of that update.  And thus
having a single point of failure.
3)  Poor programming of WGA that assumed the person was pirating Windows
should it not be able to contact the WGA servers.

Somehow I don't see Microsoft handing that out on a silver platter.

On the plus side, I've had more people on my blog in the past couple
days than there have been in, well, forever.  It is cool...in a
geeky/nerdy sort of way.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President