[GLLUG] Re: Booting / as a RAID device in Ubuntu

Dennis Kelly dpk at egr.msu.edu
Fri Dec 7 14:04:53 EST 2007

Well, my option would have been the typical crappy onboard raid... I
don't hold the user-workstation-level on-board raid chipsets in the
highest of regard... also, when it comes to solving problems like mine
below, I have tons of options because I have source code, communities,
and other resources.  I'm also using RAID 1 for everything (2 x 250 GB
disks for OS, 2 x 750 GB for data) so my setup is very clean and
simple this way.

Unless it's some heavy duty, expensive, server-class RAID controller,
I don't see much advantage to hardware raid, including performance and
RAID5 even.  This is just my opinion though.  Also, over the years,
I've seen even entry level server RAID controllers have firmware
issues that result in serious data integrity and stability problems.
So I usually don't even look at hardware RAID unless I'm talking
Terabytes and enterprise numbers of users, i/o, and/or uptime.

dpk