[GLLUG] Postfix or Exim?

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Fri Jan 12 00:04:44 EST 2007

BEFORE you even start. Make -sure- you have an offsite secondary mail
server.  It is better in case the network, server, or whatever goes bad,
the mail is spooled somewhere else until the issue is resolved. (At the
very least, you don't feel insane pressure to get things back up and
running at 3am.)  It seriously may save your job. If you can't find one,
this would be the show stopper for me to bring mail in-house.

As far as Postfix/Cyrus, Apple and Redhat I believe both use those.
I know of absolutely no one except myself who has had problems configuring
postfix. I only had problems because im used to hand editing the
sendmail.conf file. m4 is for wussies and mail configurations are not
supposed to be human readable. =) (however, im not promoting sendmail, I
think even Sun is ditching it in favour of postfix..) Given Apple, and
Redhat I believe both use postfix/cyrus combos, i would lean towards that.
It wont mean you get support, however, the chances of it being stable and
the bugs get fixed, are greater. =)

Depending on your definition of small office, and how much email traffic
you generate, you might look at better spam filtering then just
spamassassin. I don't think it is a bad start. It can just be a resource
hog.. Im just saying keep your options open. And im -sure- someone on the
list has 5-10k messages to train your filters with if you need them.

You probably aren't going to go bad either way. I can't imagine you would
have to have more flexibility then postfix offers. And you definately
won't need all the flexibility sendmail offers. (I think they still have
UUCP support.)