[GLLUG] Preparing an Old Laptop

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Jan 22 10:01:25 EST 2007

Back when i was doing a bunch of hard disk imaging, I found that partimag
was my best bet.  I grabbed it on something called System Rescue CD, which
is a knoppix CD with a lot of useful utilities.  Partimage was as fast as
ghost for the actual copy, and a much smaller pain in the tail.  Dunno if
the flash disk will be entirely suitable, but you can try.

Clay

Charles Tower wrote:
> I just bought an old WinBookXL (PII, 64MB RAM) that might be difficult
> to get running with a modern Linux, but it was cheap.  I would like to
> back up the 2GB hard disk and it's Win2000Pro and MS Office
> installation, so that, if I decide to resell the laptop I can offer it
> just as it is now.  The drive is a little over half full.  It has a
> CD-ROM, not a burner; it has a floppy drive, but I'd hate to back up
> using that.  I hope to use a 512MB flash drive to transfer the backup to
> another hard disk for safekeeping, but I do have a serial cable I could
> use with DirectConnect or whatever they call that LapLink wannabe.  Do
> any of you know of free tools that would allow me to restore the hard
> disk to its current condition, able to boot Win2000Pro and run MS
> Office, after a complete reformatting?  Being able to create back-up
> files no larger than 500MB would be pretty handy, too.
>
> Another question I have concerns hard drives for laptops.  Are they
> standard, so that I could easily get a replacement, and just swap them
> out rather than back up what I have?
>
>                                 Chick

Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com