[GLLUG] Rsync server OS?

Bill Bartilson bbartilson at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 17:06:56 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

I want to set up Rsync on my home network, and have my clients backup
automagically.

Don't care what platform the server is, I have any number of donor
computers available.  Clients will be OS X, Ubuntu, and WinXP.

What's the shortest path to joy?  I gotta believe this isn't an
uncommon desire, and the Rsync docs are great... but I'm confused about:

1.  The difference between running the prog on the server (via cron)
and pulling the info vs. running it on the client and pushing it.  Is
there a benefit either way?
2.  Ease of configuration/setup for one server OS vs. another?

Thanks for any info.

Regards,
Bill