[GLLUG] Rsync server OS?

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue Jan 23 18:28:56 EST 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 17:06, Bill Bartilson wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I want to set up Rsync on my home network, and have my clients backup
> automagically.
>
> Don't care what platform the server is, I have any number of donor
> computers available.  Clients will be OS X, Ubuntu, and WinXP.
>
> What's the shortest path to joy?  I gotta believe this isn't an
> uncommon desire, and the Rsync docs are great... but I'm confused about:
>
> 1.  The difference between running the prog on the server (via cron)
> and pulling the info vs. running it on the client and pushing it.  Is
> there a benefit either way?
> 2.  Ease of configuration/setup for one server OS vs. another?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Combine rsnap with SSH host-based authentication:

http://daniel.lorch.cc/projects/rsnap/
http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~ryan/tech/ssh-no-password.html

There's some work in setting it up, but it's a good solution, especially if
your data will be travelling over the Internet. Not sure how well it'll work
with windows (perhaps using cwrsync), but it should be possible. Some people
wrap the procedure in a script to mount/umount drives, etc.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com