[GLLUG] mbox or maildir

Jason Folkens jason at acd.net
Tue Jan 23 21:04:19 EST 2007

the one good thing that came from qmail is maildir

...  and i think thats about it.

maildir works well because if you have multiple MTA's delivering to the same
mailbox, you won't get a corrupted inbox.   the same is not true for mbox...
Since mbox is one contiguous file, if two apps write to the same file, you
either get a dirty write, or a corrupted file...   Neither of which are
desireable

plus, certain good mail apps only use maildir (like courier imap etc...)
I'm not sure wether or not dovecot supports mbox, but I doubt it.