[GLLUG] TCP/IP protocol efficiency

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Jan 24 14:11:56 EST 2007

Mike Szumlinski wrote:
> Access can be read only, that is perfectly fine.  The problem we are
> running into is that a full scan can be several hundred gigabytes.
> The problem seems to be that as soon as tcp/ip compression kicks in
> enough on these scans to get some solid throughput, it is done
> transferring that single file and starts all over again.  We are only
> getting about 6-7MB/sec out of gig-e using sftp currently

You can probably speed up transmission by using compression on the server.

How will the files be retrieved on the client side?  Is it to be an
automated process (e.g. give me all of the film from thursday), or will
somebody be selecting individual clips?  If the project includes a bit of
client software it would be pretty simple to write a bit of software that
could grab a whole series of files via http or ftp.  There are even people
on this list willing to write software for money, if the project happens
to be for-profit and allows for such luxuries.

Clay
--
Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com