[GLLUG] TCP/IP protocol efficiency

Mike Szumlinski szumlins at mac.com
Wed Jan 24 16:27:51 EST 2007

It is single frames of film datacined from a $500k Thompson Bones.
It actually is going onto a 4Gb fiber shared storage solution that
Windows can't read because it is formatted XFS.  We tried ext3, but
the FS just couldn't handle the data speed (we sustain about
320-350MB/sec with the datacine).  Basically once the files are
scanned in from film, they are fed to an NLE that is doing online 2K
film editing...so we are simply trying to move data from an XFS
volume that is really really fast to an NTFS volume that is really
really fast.  The big problem is that we can't read from XFS in a
supported way on the Windows side and we can't write to NTFS in a
supported way on the Linux side...so enter network layer to make
things slower.

Unless anyone knows a way to run a supported current XFS driver on
Windows I'm stuck with network speed.  Installing software on the
linux box could break the support contract on the Bones.  They are a
bit finicky as to what runs on their controller.

-Mike