[GLLUG] OT: Vista's DRM cost article updated

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Fri Jan 26 20:02:23 EST 2007

Michael Rudas (computer) wrote:
> Many of us have seen the Peter Gutmann article "A Cost Analysis of
> Windows Vista Content Protection" in its original form.  It has now been
> updated to address MS's response, which he deconstructs neatly:
>
> <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html>
>
> Here's the MS response he's referring to:
>
> <http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/20/windows-vista-content-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx>
>

> It's amazing to see how what was originally an obscure post can take on
> a life of its own.  The MS response reeks of legalese and flop-sweat.
> It's WAY too overwritten for a "simple" blog post...
>
> -- Mikey

Interesting article on Vista's DRM.

I've got a few blog entries worth reading if you want technical details
on Windows Vista:

http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2006/04/windows-vista-delayed-to-2007-and.html
http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-force-users-to-upgrade-oses_06.html
http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2006/06/corollary.html

First one is on the Vista graphics core code - GDI (pretty stable)
replaced with DirectX (highly unstable).  Second entry:  IE7+ for Vista
has three features not available to 2000/XP users.  Probably simply
#ifdef statements.  Last entry:  Sort of an "afterthought" article on
how Vista might have been more useful.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.0
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

Free for personal use, $10 otherwise.
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/