[GLLUG] Internal/External Private Messangers?

Ian Fitzpatrick ianfitz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:52:26 EDT 2007

>> > Any hints on configuration?
>>
>> None at all.  I haven't set it up, just used it as a client.
>> Others on
>> this list have set it up in the past though, hopefully one of them
>> will
>> chime in.

I just got jabberd running on Etch internally at my workplace.  As
for advice, it depends on what your requirements are.  I haven't done
anything fancy like ldap integration, or even multi-chat/chatrooms.
SSL is pretty straightforward to get working though.  Here are a few
starter points:

-  Install:  apt-get install jabber (duh)

-  Your jabber usernames will be yourcontactname at yourserver,
"yourserver" can be any arbitrary value as long as a) your jabber
server can resolve (via DNS/hostfile) "yourserver" to itself  b) you
set "yourserver" as your jabber hostname in either /etc/jabber/
jabber.cfg or jabber.xml

-  Open port 5222 for cleartext Jabber and 5223 for SSL jabber.
Configuring SSL requires additional steps, however.

-  I don't really have a recommendation for Jabber clients, but try
to find one that can handle doing self-registration.  Alternately you
can google for perl scripts that will generate user accounts for
you.  All user accounts are stored in /var/lib/jabber/yourserver ,
they are just XML files (like most of Jabber).

If you read through jabber.xml you will find a ton more configuration
tweaks you can do.

Interested to hear others input, as I am relatively new to this stuff
myself.  One obvious thing that I haven't done is disable user self-
registration, which is probably a prudent thing to do.

Cheers,
Ian