[GLLUG] Internal/External Private Messangers?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Jul 2 20:52:46 EDT 2007

Looking forward, Jabber(XMPP) is really the only long-term option.
Short term, you can probably have your existing server software running
if you install the appropriate compat libs (run ldd on the executables).

For XMPP, you should look towards ejabberd or jabberd2, NOT jabberd if
at all possible.  These more modern softwares support such things as
ldap authentication without a fuss, so they can just plug into an
enterprise-level authentication solution.

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything in particular, but you
should probably at least give those server softwares a quick once-over
first.  I did my thesis on bringing managed instant messaging to
Kettering University (using an XMPP based solution) and you would be
welcome to take a look at what I used (just ask, it's a big document).