[GLLUG] /ect/hosts gone bad

Jordan Robison jordan.robison at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:11:25 EDT 2007

I am using ubuntu 7.4 and su, sudo, and su - are giving me the same
responds.
unable to lookup jordan via gethostbyname()

I was clearly not thinking right because it did not make a back up. Although
I have tried to scp the host file from my notebook to the desktop and i get
permission denied.

On 7/3/07, Stephan Andre' <andres at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 13:39:13 Jordan Robison wrote:
> > I was messing with the hosts file and changed something around and I
> spent
> > the rest of the night trying to fix it. Here is the problem that happens
> > every time I use sudo:
> > sudo: unable to lookup jordan via gethostbyname()
> >
> > I am not able to do anything under Su and from what it looks like is
> that I
> > might have to reformat unless you geniuses out there know of any better
> way
> > of  helping me fix this problem.
>
> You give no indication as to what operating system you're using, but if
> you
> have single-user mode, you ought to be able to boot up into that, and then
> fix the hosts file.
>
> This is also a good time to develop a system of saving and storing
> critical
> data files, such that if they get munged they can be restored quickly.  My
> /etc (OpenBSD) is about 8M in size, so its easy for me to make a tarball
> of that dir frequently.  Add /var/log, /var/www and perhaps a few others
> and you have the core of a configuration backup.
>
> --STeve Andre'

Jordan Robison