[GLLUG] Off Topic- Violin

Julie Code jewels9321 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 01:10:53 EDT 2007

Hey Guys,
          I wanted to talk about something totally off topic.  I know that a
couple of you such as Brian and Jeff's wife may know the answer to my
questions.
          I am also very excited to tell people about this too so I would
like to tell you guys.  Some may not even know me so it doesn't matter to
you probably.  Well, there is this violin that I've always wanted but never
could afford until now.  So I've always rented different ones from White
Bros Music In Okemos, MI.  Anyways, this one is a handmade violin made in
Owosso, MI in 1914.  The most beautiful sounding (just a very beautiful
sweet sound to it) violin that I've ever handled.  And I've handled many
violins both at white bros and Elderly Instruments.  The guy that made the
violin was G.W. Palmer and he made it at his home on 720 E. Oliver St.  He
also has a John Hancock signature of his last name on the upper part of the
neck of the violin.  My question is.... is that Mr. White the owner of the
store says that it needs a new bass bar and possibly new pegs.  I am
concerned if that I get these things repaired that the value of the
instrument will go down.  The instrument sounds very very nice even though
these two things need fixing.  It is not in bad shape at all and is
extremely nice looking.  I am thinking I may call the other Brian that works
at Elderly that does appraisals of violins there if any of you wouldn't
know.  Another guy on the phone there told me that maybe I should get it
fixed but also ask that I keep the original parts with me too.
            If some of you don't know, I've taken lessons from Jeff Lawton's
wife in that past and hope to start taking lessons again in the near future.
  But if any of you guys would know any answers to my questions please feel
free to say something.  I am sorry that it is off topic and hope not to bug
anyone.  I am sure you guys would sometimes like to hear off-topic things
every once in a great while. =)  Anyways, I'll probably show it to you guys
sometime when I get it. =)

Julie