[GLLUG] Wok wireless antenna -> p-to-p wireless

Stephan Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Jun 5 13:53:20 EDT 2007

It entirely depends on the terrian you have between the two points.
If you were in the desert and had a clear view of the other point, I'd
say sure, it would work.  But here in Michigan we have these pesky
leafy attenuators called trees, which do an amazing job of soaking
up 2.4GHz rf, and buildings and such which splatter the rf, etc.

With enough of an antenna, you could likely get it to work, but it
might be a real pain.  Building your own dish antenna can be fun;
hams do that often.  The feedhorn and its placement is more
exact than some of the wifi oriented designs I've seen say it is.

Also there is a real safety warning here.  That 2.4GHz energy from
your wireless unit is the same as what a microwave oven uses.  A
dish works by refocusing the RF into a tighter beam.  If you have
a 100mW transmitter and make a 16dB gain dish, you'll have an
effective raidated power (ERP) of 4 watts.  Staring into that is not
good for your eyes or other small blood vessels in your head.  This
is a REAL danger.  Treating the business end of a microwave
frequency dish like a gun is a must.  So keep it off when working
with it and stay at least 12 feet away when its on (farther is
better).

If you try this, let us know if you get it to work.

--STeve Andre'
(ham call wb8wsf)