[GLLUG] Any ideas? (Fw: exim paniclog on ladon has non-zero size)

Ed Thomson ethomson at edwardthomson.com
Wed Jun 13 11:12:40 EDT 2007

Forgot to cc the list initially.

Somehow, /dev/null got removed.  (And eventually, some process tried
to stick some output there and created it as a regular file.)

You should be able to fix this by:

mknod /dev/null.tmp c 1 3
chmod 666 /dev/null.tmp
mv /dev/null.tmp /dev/null

(I suggesting doing the work on a tmp file and moving it over to
avoid races -- if you deleted the current /dev/null and then mknod'ed
a new one, something else might write to it in the meantime.)

-Ed