[GLLUG] PCMCIA Wireless network card

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Jun 15 16:47:39 EDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 14:17, Michael George wrote:
> My mom has a Toshiba Satellite with 2 PCMCIA slots in it and she
> wants it to do the wireless thing.  It runs XP Home (but her other
> computer is a Power Mac :) but I'd also like a card which is
> supported by Linux if possible.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations y'all could give...

Any card using the Atheros chip will work well on pretty much every OS.
On Linux, the drivers go by the name madwifi. Nearly every wifi card
manufacturer has a few of these. See this:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility

I don't guarantee that it's 100% current, but it should be a good start.
One thing that I've found works well is checking to see what models the
local and online vendors carry, jot down a few, and then Googling
"$modelNumber Linux" and seeing what comes up.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com