[GLLUG] Okay - That was weird (was apache blah blah)

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Jun 21 12:16:38 EDT 2007

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> I just commented that out and it seems to have started fine and the test
> page is up.  My only question is WHY?
>
> Guessing got it working but I really want to understand what the problem
> was.  Is it that the IP is mentioned in two files so it was trying to
> 'double allocate'??

Let me confirm Charles' guess.  When you try to open a socket, you pass it
the IP address that you're interested in.  If you pass in 0.0.0.0
(equivalent to * in http.conf) it means that you want it on all available
interfaces and addresses.  Since you already had a process running that
was reading port 80 on one IP address, it is not possible to allocate on
all addresses and the call fails.

Don't feel bad that you didn't get it.  Until you've actually written
server software and need to understand these things, it's kind of obscure.
 man socket(2) will give you the evil details, but unless you're a systems
programmer it probably won't make a lot of sense to you.

Clay
--
Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com