[GLLUG] WinVista security better than Linux?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Mon Jun 25 19:11:29 EDT 2007

Richard Houser wrote:
> Thomas Hruska wrote:
>> In addition to comparing Vista to XP, Jones compared Vista to
>> open-source operating systems. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, the most
>> downloaded GNU/Linux distribution, saw 129 publicly disclosed bugs
>> during its first six months of availability. Forty of them were ranked
>> "high" severity. Red Hat fixed a total of 281 vulnerabilities in Red
>> Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Workstation in the first six months, 86 of
>> which were rated "high" severity. On the basis of these numbers, Jones
>> concluded that Vista was more secure than its open-source counterpart.
>
> Anyone here know someone that runs RHEL 4 as a workstation?  It would be
> about my last choice in a workstation distro (not that high on my list
> as a server either, but for different reasons).  Considering past
> studies, I almost surprised it wasn't a comparison against RedHat Linux
> 5.2.

Microsoft probably did a comparison to RHEL 4 because it was released
roughly around the same time Vista was.  They wanted to show that in
timeframe x (6 months) between products y and z, the number of
vulnerabilities (v) in product y were less than z.  5.2 is much more
recent and would have ruined the timeframe comparison they were going for.

Microsoft is a HUGE company - the left hand doesn't always know what the
right hand is doing.  So getting up-to-date statistics in a timely
manner may not necessarily be possible.  Elephants (generally speaking)
move slowly but they'll obliterate anything that gets underfoot.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/