[GLLUG] Subversion & Bug Tracking Panel

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Mar 1 22:51:59 EST 2007

Jason Green wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:
>> why subvesion vs cvs (obvious) and git (less obvious).
>>

> The Wine project put together a summary of the code repository options
> out there a while ago and set up a table here (at the bottom of the
> page):
>
> http://wiki.winehq.org/HackingTips
>
> In my opinion, git has a higher learning curve, but is well worth the
> effort for large projects.  cvs has numerous drawbacks that are well
> documented all over the place.  svn is quite good for small or average
> size projects.  All of the options are better than nothing of course,
> and all of them will probably suffice for any project, but there are
> plenty of pro's and con's that you need to weigh yourself for your own
> needs.
>
> Plus, there are lots of tools out there to convert from one to
> another, so whatever you pick, it's really never too late to switch to
> a different one later.

I would strongly recommend getting at least a mention of darcs in the
presentation.  The distinguishing trait of darcs is that it is built on
formal patch theory and decentralized control.

I've never used git, but would be happy to get together with someone
that knows it well and work out the differences, etc.  I find darcs very
powerful and easy to work with for local development as well.

I would classify the biggest downside to darcs as limited potential for
code contribution (who here knows formal patch theory?).