[GLLUG] Ubuntu configuration cache

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Wed Mar 28 12:11:42 EDT 2007

Samba got messed up and I decided to just uninstall and reinstall it.  But,
even though I did a "complete removal" in synaptic, when I reinstalled,
everything came back configured just as before.  In particular, running
pdbedit -L shows the same users as before even though the samba users file
was deleted (and indeed does not even exist in the /etc/samba directory.

So, clearly things are getting cached somewhere and I'll need to manually
delete them to really do a fresh install.  But I can't find it.  Anyone
know where such things might be kept?  I did try "locate samba" after the
uninstall, but nothing of note showed up.  (I will try a "locate .*samba to
try to find hidden files/dirctories later today).

Thanks in advance.

Stan Mortel
mortel at cyber-nos.com