[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed May 2 16:24:41 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 20:13, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> is openquake 3d? if not would it matter? I'm not sure doom is
> considered 3d.

All modern incarnations of the Quake engine are OpenGL.

Doom is considered 2.5D, but the original at least, uses its own
software rendering engine so 2D performance is all you need. The
problem even with running Doom on the terminal server is that you're
still pushing massive screen updates to the terminals. (And Doom is
still copyrighted and thus needs licenses.)

> anyways there have been requests for lots of games
> that could easily be on the terminal server. like stuff in dos
> emulators.

Most decent DOS games are still copyrighted too, so even though they
might run fine on terminals, they still need licenses.

That said, there are a number of decent games that can be run on the
terminal server that aren't graphics-intensive. FreeCiv, gtetrinet, and
Frozen Bubble come to mind. Many Win32 freeware games probably run fine
in WINE.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com