[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed May 2 17:02:03 EDT 2007

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> some of the games are considered freeware now. and I think doom is open
> source. regardless collector's edition is cheap and I have a copy. and back
> then I don't think they were licensing per cpu so one license should be
> enough for the terminal server.
>
> On 5/2/07, Charles Ulrich <charles at idealso.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 20:13, Caleb Cushing wrote:
>> > is openquake 3d? if not would it matter? I'm not sure doom is
>> > considered 3d.
>>
>> All modern incarnations of the Quake engine are OpenGL.
>>
>> Doom is considered 2.5D, but the original at least, uses its own
>> software rendering engine so 2D performance is all you need. The
>> problem even with running Doom on the terminal server is that you're
>> still pushing massive screen updates to the terminals. (And Doom is
>> still copyrighted and thus needs licenses.)
>>
>> > anyways there have been requests for lots of games
>> > that could easily be on the terminal server. like stuff in dos
>> > emulators.
>>
>> Most decent DOS games are still copyrighted too, so even though they
>> might run fine on terminals, they still need licenses.
>>
>> That said, there are a number of decent games that can be run on the
>> terminal server that aren't graphics-intensive. FreeCiv, gtetrinet, and
>> Frozen Bubble come to mind. Many Win32 freeware games probably run fine
>> in WINE.
>>
>> --
>> Charles Ulrich
>> Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com

I've been playing Last Chaos off and on for a while.  Good game to play
just before going to sleep.  Apparently people have gotten it to work
under Wine:

http://lastchaos.aeriagames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13371&highlight=linux

Basically, a free MMORPG for Linux via emulation and some fiddling with
the latest Wine sources.  It is kind of boring as far as games go - but
that's what makes it perfect for going to sleep.  I have no idea how it
stacks up against WoW, but it is free.

Just a thought.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/