[GLLUG] Coffee and Electronics

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu May 3 09:20:33 EDT 2007

When I repaired circuit boards in the Air Force, we used pure isopropyl
alochol to clean solder joints and other gunk off the boards. We ran
out one time so someone went to the store to pick up rubbing alcohol. I
think we got one that was 95% alcohol and 5% water. That 5% water made
a huge difference, though. It wouldn't clean worth a darn because the
alcolhol evaporated much more rapidly than the water and the water that
was left behind just made a mess.

On Thursday 03 May 2007 08:30, Eduardo Cesconetto wrote:
> Sorry to disagree Michael, but the Isopropil solution worked for me
> in every single case since I started fixing computers... about 20
> years ago....
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 00:29 -0400, Michael Rudas wrote:
> > On 5/2/07, Dan Ryan wrote:
> > > Take a bit of isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol; it contains
> > > carnuba wax and that will leave a residue.)
> >
> > WRONG!  Rubbing alcohol is just water and 50 to 70% alcohol, no
> > wax... Alcohol is a poor solvent for sugar, anyway.
> >
> > Speaking as a 50-year-veteran electronic repairman/technician, a
> > much better solution is distilled water with some ammonia in it (a
> > few drops per ounce is enough)-- a good surfactant that leaves no
> > residue.
> >
> > The bigger problem is removing the keycap, something that an
> > inexperienced person is gonna have a lot of trouble doing-- unless
> > you know the trick (a picture would sure help here):
> >
> > 1.  Take two standard paper clips and bend them straight.
> >
> > 2.  Bend square hooks near the center of each one so that it
> > resembles a "U" with a square bottom about 1/2 inch wide and very
> > long tines. This is your new keycap removal tool!
> >
> > 3.  Grasping one clip in each hand, slip the square bottom/center
> > part of each under diagonal corners of the keycap until the tines
> > touch the edges of the key.
> >
> > 4.  Pull straight up, gently (a very slight rocking motion may
> > help), with even tension on each clip, until the cap pops off.
> > "Gentle" is the word here-- you don't want the cap flying off to
> > $DIETY knows where...
> >
> > 5.  Use the ammonia+water solution on a slightly-moistened cotton
> > swab to clean as much of the coffee off as possible, but not moist
> > enough to flood the keyboard internals, if possible.
> >
> > 6.  Mop up with a dry swab.
> >
> > 7.  Repeat steps 5 & 6 a couple of times, at least, with clean
> > swabs.
> >
> > The keycap should snap right back on when you are done, and things
> > should be OK-- most modern keyboards are at least semi-shielded
> > against spills.
> >
> > -- Mikey

Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com