[GLLUG] CUPS policy settings

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Tue May 8 11:31:53 EDT 2007

This is what I have been trying to get in a position to be in position to
do something similar around here for the last 5 years, and the 3 years
before that at the State of Michigan. I was going to use openldap and grid
computing but.. (i would rather pay a programmer then pay someone to
babysit licensing.) .. very similar though.

I want your notes. I will help when I get time but it was on my agenda for
later in the summer. There are a couple of missing pieces for the
transformation from the lpr protocol to the ipp protocol that havent been
worked out yet (in our specific system). Printing is -first- on the
agenda that needs to be taken care of here before we can even
think about making a big push for the rest of it..

TO answer your question, I think I would try the BrowseAllow, BrowseDeny
and see if you can put them in a policy on a per printer basis. And I
think you inherit group/nest policies like you can with hostgroups on
nagios to make it much easier to manage (but harder to initially set-up
because you have to think through it and test more...).

Sean