[GLLUG] Semi-OT: Another BIG WinVista misstep

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu May 10 14:26:31 EDT 2007

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 08:39, Michael Rudas wrote:
>> Another big hole for the hackers to drive through...
>>
>> "Driver signing is a failure for Vista"
>> <http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070510/#story1>
>>
>> ...yet I continue to hear "WinVista is the greatest thing since
>> sliced bread!" from people that SHOULD know better.  I hope Linux is
>> "ready for the masses" soon, or our entire computing infrastructure
>> may collapse.
>
> Unless they shift into a different direction and/or abandon some of
> their old ways, I think Microsoft have seen their peak of dominance
> with XP. Without major changes to both the company _and_ the codebase,
> they can't sustain Vista in the long term and the only thing that's
> around to replace it is Linux. (If you're wondering why Apple isn't a
> contender, ESR and Landy's essay explains why.)

 From the article:

"Microsoft can do better than this

Microsoft cannot expect widespread adoption of its new operating system
if users cannot depend on the availability of drivers to support the
most popular hardware configurations. Nor will customers feel safe with
Vista when experts continue to report how easy it is to poke holes in
Microsoft's new defenses. Users need to demand that Microsoft simply do
its job better before releasing a new operating system, providing a
stronger defense against hackers without placing undue burdens on
developers."

Microsoft is, today, the 400-lb. gorilla IBM used to be.  I'm an ASP
member and it was recently mentioned in the private newsgroups that IBM
managed to figure out how to make itself irrelevant over the years.
I've also heard plenty of statements that Microsoft is "going to die".
By the time it takes to finish this e-mail, Microsoft will have made
$100 million dollars...in profit.  And as Joel Spolsky stated, Microsoft
could reinvent itself a couple dozen times - even as a shaved ice
company - and still have money to spare.  In other words, Microsoft
could release a half-dozen really horrible versions of Windows and
_still_ easily be the market leader.

XP (the original) was really bad.  And SP1 fixed a ton of problems.  And
SP2 made XP fairly solid - such that even hardcore Linux users
considered it viable.  Vista SP1 - slated for fourth quarter this year -
should be something like XP's SP1.

Still, the article makes a point:  Microsoft CAN do better.  I have a
book that every employee at Microsoft needs to have called "Safe C++
Design Principles".  I have NEVER had to refund anyone's money for the
book.  People who have been writing software for 25+ years who have read
the book have a few lightbulbs go on and change how they write code.
For the better.  I have a ratio of one crash bug every 6 months as a
direct result of the principles in that book.  Compare that to the
industry average of a crash bug every day or two.  The book is THAT good.

If users demand anything, they should be demanding that Microsoft obtain
copies of that book for everyone in the company.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/