[GLLUG] Semi-OT: Another BIG WinVista misstep

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Fri May 11 00:05:29 EDT 2007

Chick Tower wrote:
> Are the principles discussed in the book applicable to C++ programming
> on any OS, Thomas, or are they too specific to Microsoft or Windows
> compilers for broad application?
>
>                                Chick

Currently any OS.  Although I'm debating some POSIX stuff for inclusion
in Second Edition that is used basically everywhere (socket
programming).  So the POSIX sections will eliminate some embedded
aspects, but I'm not exactly focusing on embedded platforms.  Embedded
introduces some interesting elements of discussion.

I encourage maximum portability when developing software.  Take
VerifyMyPC for instance - it is fairly Windows-oriented and the audience
for other platforms (if it were ported) would be somewhat limited.  Even
then I still wrote the core engine as if I wanted to port it to another
platform.  The GUI, on the other hand, isn't so portable (MFC-based).
But most of the logic is stuck in the engine so I could probably drop in
wxWidgets pretty easily (about 2 weeks of time) with just a few minor
tweaks.

The book arrives as a Windows installer EXE.  I did it that way so I
could add entries to the Start menu to make it easy to read the book and
view the sample source code.  Extraction tools should be able to pluck
out the PDF and source code files though from the EXE (no binaries
inside - just source and the main PDF).  It seemed like a good idea at
the time.  Second Edition is going to fix a number of problems First
Edition had - some people found it odd to have an installer.  It IS the
first book I've ever written.  I'm a pretty good writer, though.  Some
of my e-mails read like short stories.  However, my e-mail style and my
book style are very different - the book style is more polished and
professional.

I'm finding it entertaining how many people I run into talk about how
they would love to be a book author and what they plan on writing but
never get around to actually writing it.  Authoring books is hard work.
  Seems like it would be easy to do, but it isn't.  If anyone here is
actually serious about book authoring, feel free to pick up the phone
and give me a call or ask at the GLLUG meetings.  I've learned a LOT
about what to do, what not to do, etc.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/