[GLLUG] Fw: [mdlug] OO.org in Mi schools

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:04:32 EDT 2007

As a student at DeWitt High School, I have really welcomed this
change. Our technology supervisor, Sherry McVay, asked me to write a
letter to help promote OOo to the school board, and other people who
couldn't be convinced that something with no cost can be something of
quality.

I think Mike's mention of curriculum is probably the most prominent
within the things that were deterring school faculty from making the
switch. At DeWitt we have a linux LTSP lab, and as a result most
teachers have used OOo in the past, at least enough to see the
similarity between it and Word (within the Writer component). As I was
informed, it seems that the greatest amount of opposition to the
change came from teachers who already had classes where Microsoft
products were core curriculum (ie typing, accounting, Business Tech)
because (my evaluation) they did not want to either learn the new
software, or update their already generated worksheets/lesson plans to
reflect changes within the interface and functionality.

I think the largest hurtle for students will be changing margins,
spacing, etc. It has come to my attention that (as Clay might have
inferred, through workers doing specific tasks well) students don't
really read through dialogues and interpret the information; rather,
they have learned (and perhaps have muscle memory) where they can go
for specific options without reading, and they do it automatically.
When students occupy the linux lab, despite the somewhat obvious or
logical menus, (Applications>Office>Writer) students have a difficulty
finding the application they need to use.

While I think this change does pose some issues, it should also be
noted that at DeWitt High School (and through my experience K-12
through the DeWitt school system) nearly everyone is not a 'power
user'; I think it is a stretch to say that the teachers of typing and
applications-based classes know little more than what their curriculum
instructs. I think the adoption of OOo will be more welcomed by
students than they will openly recognize; I remember as a 7th or 8th
grade student having difficulties because I needed to complete a
powerpoint assignment, but was unable to afford the cost of the Office
Suite for my computer (and unable to pirate it). Had OOo been around
then I would have been much better off, but making OOo standard
removes any issues with compatibility.

While training might seem like it would be more expensive, I think it
should be noted that the training is probably going to be done by the
technology administration itself along with other technology-oriented
staff members. Training at large won't be extremely prevalent; it has
been my experience that these technologies are underutilized by
students and staff, so fundamentals learned from Word will transfer
over along with some sort of instruction for migration. The number of
people requiring in depth training shouldn't be all that significant,
as DeWitt has a small technology track.

"
A few of us are - have for years. Hasn't made a difference. Most folks
just want to get work done with least effort. As long as there is money
to buy it - it'll be bought.
"

I agree with the previous statement, but the thing is that the school
budget for 2007 has just been cut very significantly, and since the
school year operates on a different schedule than the state and
federal governments, the pool of money that is being cut has already
been spent on little things like faculty salaries. The money to buy
things like this is quickly drying up, at least in the immediate
sense.

Perhaps Joe Smith (on the GLLUG list, and a member of DeWitt Public
School's technology dept.) has something else to say, or can correct
me on any of my points.

Just my .02

Karl