[GLLUG] Thursday's Meeting?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu May 17 11:45:20 EDT 2007

Hampton, Rodney wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Is there really a need to have the bottom posting/top posting argument?

There is no argument:  Top-posting is NOT proper netiquette - especially
for mass mailing lists.  Read RFC1855.  Top-posting is in violation of
the proper use of e-mail according to the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF - the people who make and maintain Internet standards like
HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DNS, TCP, UDP, IP, etc.)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

> Can't you just reference another thread on this subject somewhere else
> on the internet and move on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_styles
http://www.mail-archive.com/mac.webmasters@mail.maclaunch.com/msg00068.html

The second link is more of a "personal opinion" sort of thread that
tries to create a happy medium.

> I've seen this so many times before and ultimately 1) nobody changes
> their behavior and 2) everyone gets angry about #1.
>
> My $0.02   I'll go back to lurking.
>
> Rodney Hampton

Almost every mass mailing list I subscribe to, with the exception of
this one and a couple others, has the implicit standard of bottom
posting.  A few of those lists take it to the extreme and those that
don't bottom post get put on probationary moderation until they do
bottom post.  Becomes a pretty powerful incentive for those people who
want to quickly get answers to questions.

I recommend reading all links in the order provided starting with RFC1855.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/