[GLLUG] list message size limit (Was: beer belly tux)

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon May 21 15:58:07 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:17:58PM -0400, Charles Ulrich wrote:

  On Monday 21 May 2007 10:36, Adam McDougall wrote:

  > Messages have to be under 40 kilobytes presently as configured, but I
  > can manually release them to the list if they look appropriate (I
  > just did for your earlier message).  If the list wants to informally
  > pick an agreed maximum (reasonable) size instead of 40k, I would be
  > happy to increase it.

  I think the goal of the 40k limit is to keep people from posting
  binaries (pictures, file archives, etc) to the list. This goal should
  probably stay the same since Email is a textual medium and there are
  much better ways to get files to a large group of people. Has anyone
  ever run up against the 40k limit when not dealing with attachments?

  --
  Charles Ulrich
  Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com

I think it may have happened on this list before, when a long email
gets longer and longer after a number of quoted replies, but that is
the exception.