[GLLUG] postscript document

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Tue May 29 15:00:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Clay Dowling wrote:

> Marr wrote:
> > A quick work-around would be to just convert the graphic into EPS format.
> > Assuming you have the ImageMagick suite of tools, try this:
> >
> >    convert im004704.jpg im004704.eps
> >

> Indeed, as I think on the subject that is how I managed the problem in the
> past.  Less of a hack and more of the way LaTeX was designed.  You can
> include JPG images if you are just outputing with dvipdfm, but it's a
> package-specific thing.

from:
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/figures.html
It appears you can use pdflatex if you want to go straight to pdf
 using:
\includegraphics[angle=45,width=52mm]{myfig.jpg}

If at all possible, you want to avoid bitmapped images and use a vector
based graphic format.  I -do- realize it isn't always possible or
practical. Converting a bitmap/raster format like bmp, jpeg, gif, tiff,
etc to a vector format like EPS, svg, postscript, etc just makes a huge
file without the benefits of using a vector based output.

I think Adobe added jpeg, gif and bmp libraries and tags to Acrobat so you
are just embedding the raster image inside the pdf to significantly reduce
filesizes which I assume is how pdflatex works.