Re: [GLLUG] Finding IP ranges (similar to dig)??

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Mon Nov 5 08:49:04 EST 2007

Actually that is how I had it setup up before - with a transparent proxy and Dansguardian with ClamAV setup (a smoothie)

However, after I reloaded it a few months back, I didn't bother setting any of that up anymore.  I got tired of the bitching and no action from the employees.  People don't understand that reactive firewalls with content filtration need to be HONED in.  When you explain it they just roll their eyes and don't tell you about the sites they need access to which they can't get (for work that is) - they sure as hell tell you when their AOL mail doesn't work though.  Otherwise they just sit in their offices and do nothing and complain about you to everyone else.

Am I too bitter?  I just hate petty BS.  Regardless, I know it can be setup that way, that is what I had originally.  At this point I am just using simple IP table rules with Snort and Guardian for the reactive firewall - also Dshield daily updates and I make sure our system automails our logs to help the community.

Wow - anyway, just had a fight with my wife on the way to work and the day is crappy already - sorry to take it out here

I should probably just keep my mouth shut

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company
4917 Tranter St.