MSUMAIL: Re: [GLLUG] Samba, netlogon.bat and xcopy

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sun Nov 11 14:33:30 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 02:20:07PM -0500, STeve Andre' wrote:

  On Sunday 11 November 2007 14:12:16 Benjamin Cathey wrote:
  > Quick question - something I haven't really solved and am at work on a
  > Sunday so thought I'd but the question out there.
  >
  > We have a Samba Domain Controller set up here and it works great.  The
  > laptop users don't have roaming profiles so I thought I'd backup their "My
  > Documents" folders to the server (with exclusive permissions for safety)
  > just in case.  A netlogon file seemed the best way to accomplish this
  > (although I wish there was a way to do it when they logged OFF instead of
  > when the logged ON - so what they had worked on would be backed up - a
  > logoff script if you will.)  I looked and looked for a way to have
  > something run at logoff but was never able to come up with a solution. . .
  >
  > Regardless . . . Here is the weird part.  I decided to use xcopy because it
  > is SUPPOSED to be able to compare dates and only copy what has changed date
  > wise. However it seems to just grab EVERYTHING every time.  I have looked
  > at the dates and don't get what the hell it is doing the backups for.
  >
  > Here is an excerpt from my netlogon.bat:
  >
  > net use x: \\ladon\usrdocbak
  > xcopy "%userprofile%\My Documents" x:\%username% /D /E /I /R /C /V /Y
  > net use /delete x:
  >
  > Anyone have ANY ideas?
  >
  > Thanks,
  >
  > Benjamin Cathey

  I can't talk about the specifics here, but I'd reccomend that you do not
  use xcopy for anything big.  It mostly works with fat32 systems, but
  fails in strange ways when dealing with ntfs.  So, in looking for a general
  replacement I found xxcopy, which does seem to work no matter how
  much data you move.  My record is one xxcopy copying 610G of disk,
  and it worked.

  I don't know what your problem is, but I cast wary eyes at xcopy in
  general these days.

  --STeve Andre'

Look at robocopy or rsync or unison, they are designed for doing incremental copies.