[GLLUG] open source grid computing needs help and new student group

Jonathan Brier brierjon at msu.edu
Sun Nov 11 19:57:44 EST 2007

Hi, I'm new to the Linux users group and probably will not be able to make
any of the meetings, but I wanted to bring to note a few open source things
that might be of interest to everyone.

I have started a student group on MSU's campus called "BOINC Researchers"
which is promoting an open source program for volunteer/grid computing
leading development out of Berkeley University called B.O.I.N.C. Berkeley
Open Infrastructure for Network Computing and trying to get it established
and used at MSU.  It runs under Linux, Windows, Mac, and others.  A few
projects that run under BOINC that you may have heard of are SETI at home,
World Community Grid, Einstein at home, Climateprediction.net, and
Rosetta at home.  We have our kickoff event on November 15, 2007 (see more
details on our website).  The student group website at www.msu.edu/~boinc
and contact email for the group is boinc at msu.edu more on BOINC at
http://boinc.berkeley.edu.

I also wanted to let you know that this open source initiative funded by the
National Science Foundation is in need of volunteer programmers.  BOINC
needs more volunteer programmers! If you're proficient in PHP and MySQL, C++
and WxWidgets, or C++ system programming, please read about how you can help
at (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/DevProjects).

-Jonathan