[GLLUG] mysql slow

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue Nov 13 09:26:48 EST 2007

Hey all,

Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for when mysql queries are a
bit slow? We are using a home grown work order tracking system
(php/mysql) and have noticed latencies increasing of late. Actually, I
think some of it may have coincided with a change made to one of the
main tables a short while back when I added some additional function.
I've ran table checks and re-indexed them but it hasn't helped. The
largest table is about 21MB in size with a little under 40k records.

Some background...

The db runs on an old Proliant 3000 running an ancient RH Linux (7.3 I
think) but it's worked well for years and the box isn't exposed
externally. There is no trouble signs in the logs (that I've found
anyway). The hardware is 300MHz PII with 384MB. Lots of HDD and we're
not swapping.

Most of my selects are still simple selects from a single table though
there are are increasing numbers that join two or three tables as this
thing increases in complexity. I'm not a sql guru so I try to keep
things simple. The specific function that has caused this thing to come
to a head is one where I update about six of the 26 fields in the
primary table in a single sql udpate. It is slow returning and there
isn't much php code behind it either (about two dozen lines of code
which include six conditionals (if statements in this case)).

I think we're going to be getting a new box to run this on. I'm sure
that will help since more cycles processed each second can only improve
things but since I'm not sure that is really the root cause of the
problem I'd prefer to sort out what the problem really is first.

Perhaps adding fields to an existing table adds overhead that a re-index
will not resolve??? I don't know.

--
Mike Rambo

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up
your Windows box, you just have to work on it.
     -Scott Granneman