[GLLUG] router for home

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Wed Nov 14 12:48:27 EST 2007

Personally I use smoothwall (version 2) - it does everything I need and with the community mods, I've got content filtration (via DansGuardian) and AV (with ClamAV), snort + guardian (for a reactive firewall) with a mod for guardian exceptions and comments, a mod manager, DHCP (obviously), a transparent proxy, I use ident services to manage groups for my users (to interface with DG) - also it allows static assignments as well, Oh plus NAT using multiple external IPs, snort rule control, a MILLION log vias, a GUI for cron jobs and a DSHIELD module built in to download the dshield list and upload my own logs to help the community - let see - anything else . . . there are a LOT of mods I don't use (like to monitor MSN conversations.)  Also lots of good logs and log utils.  Oh and it doesn't take much to run it on - I was running it on a PII 400 with 512megs but upgrade once I decided to include dg+av.

The community support is great and it's free - plus you'd know me :D  I have been running one at work and one at home for almost 2 years and could be helpful :D

Just my opinion,

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company