[GLLUG] Holy Crap, My power-supply broke.

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Oct 1 23:34:03 EDT 2007

Steven Sayers wrote:
> It was working , now it does not. When I try and turn on the computer it
> moves the fan a half of an inch then stops then, all the surronding
> parts are working however so it leads me to believe the powersupply went
> funky. Any suggestions, this laptop is far from 'productive' and asking
> my mother if I can user her laptop is asking for $2,000. It just aint
> going to happen.

Did I misread that, or do you think your laptop Power Supply is bad?  If
you are actually referring to a desktop, I have a small tester and I
think a couple others have purchased them as well.  It will identify
about 90-95% of defective power supplies.  Failed motherboards can look
like this too.  If you were referring to a laptop, it doesn't really a
power supply like you are thinking (the equivalent is the external power
brick, and those can be easy to test).

Anyhow, I missed last meeting due to move-in and will be absent again on
Thursday (driving a borrowed suburban and need to get the most out of
it).  Unless something goes really, really wrong, I should be all
finished with the move-out and most of the major move-in items in time
for the 11th (unpacking is another story altogether).