[GLLUG] Holy Crap, My power-supply broke.

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 11:01:47 EDT 2007

Steven Sayers wrote:

Michael Rudas wrote:

>> Steven Sayers wrote:

>>> It was working , now it does not. When I try and turn on the computer it
>>> moves the fan a half of an inch then stops...

>> Yup, a bad power supply is by FAR the most likely problem-- usually
>> caused by bad electrolytic capacitors.  Fortunately, a new P/S is
>> relatively cheap these days-- a decent-quality 350 watt supply should
>> set you back under $40--

> Yeah when I built this computer the case came with a 350 watt power supply.

If it was a cheap case, the power supply was cheap, too.

> Off-topic is they have a 1100 watt power supply. What in the world is that
> for and do standard plugs even get that much?

By the time you add a pair of high-end graphics cards (SLI), a
high-end processor (high clock speed, multi-core), and lots of
hard-drive capacity  (like a RAID configuration), it's possible to
push average power consumption to 600W or more.  An 1100W supply is a
BIT over the top, but the more margin, the better-- as long as the P/S
is efficient and has a low power factor.

High-power supplies have more drive connectors-- and usually have
multiple +12V supplies internally to split up the load.  Mass
quantities of hard drives draw a LOT of peak current when they first
start up...

-- Mikey