[GLLUG] Holy Crap, My power-supply broke.

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Oct 2 11:58:36 EDT 2007

Michael Rudas wrote:
> Steven Sayers wrote:
>
> Michael Rudas wrote:

>>> Yup, a bad power supply is by FAR the most likely problem-- usually
>>> caused by bad electrolytic capacitors.  Fortunately, a new P/S is
>>> relatively cheap these days-- a decent-quality 350 watt supply should
>>> set you back under $40--

Buy a good $70-80 high-efficiency one if you plan to leave this running
a lot.  The power savings will get you the $30 back after a couple
years, plus you will have more upgrade capacity.  Also, the good ones
don't fail anywhere near the frequency of the lower end ones, plus they
are easier on your other components.

>> Yeah when I built this computer the case came with a 350 watt power supply.
>
> If it was a cheap case, the power supply was cheap, too.
>
>> Off-topic is they have a 1100 watt power supply. What in the world is that
>> for and do standard plugs even get that much?

When you think about it 10 amps isn't that much.  My cheep vacuum
cleaner pulls 12 amps and the UPS my server is plugged into puts out
about the same.

> By the time you add a pair of high-end graphics cards (SLI), a
> high-end processor (high clock speed, multi-core), and lots of
> hard-drive capacity  (like a RAID configuration), it's possible to
> push average power consumption to 600W or more.  An 1100W supply is a
> BIT over the top, but the more margin, the better-- as long as the P/S
> is efficient and has a low power factor.
>
> High-power supplies have more drive connectors-- and usually have
> multiple +12V supplies internally to split up the load.  Mass
> quantities of hard drives draw a LOT of peak current when they first
> start up...

I have a high efficiency (95%+) Antec 600 watt SLI power supply (maybe
it was a 500) with three +12 rails.  It's a very nice PS, but with the
high efficiency rating, the most I've ever managed to pull from it
(measured from the wall) was around 125 watts with an AMD X2 3800, two
SATA 160GB drives, a  20X DVD-Burner, a few USB flash sticks, several
80mm case fans, a 92mm case fan, 80mm CPU fan, a single nVidia 7950
PCI-E, 2GB DDR2.  With the load on the machine, basically everything was
pegged except the graphics card (didn't have anything good to stress
that subsystem at the time, so I just gave it a dozen instances of
glxgears).  I now have a couple more hard disks and an MPEG encoder
card, but I doubt I run anywhere near 160 watts peak.  For the most
part, anything over about 700 is a case of "my PS is bigger than your
PS".  If you were to measure that, you probably can't pull over 850 tops
out of it (where mine is known to pull in excess of the rating).