[GLLUG] NM-Applet vs. Wifi-Radar?

Jordan Robison jordan.robison at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 12:33:10 EDT 2007

I have used WiFi-Radar I thought it worked great but the only thing I did
not like about it was every time I wanted to connect to a wireless network
WiF-Radar asked me to enter a password to start the program which at first I
thought it was nice but after about a month or so I found it to get
irritating.

On 10/4/07, Benjamin Cathey <benjamincathey at catheycompany.com> wrote:

> Anyone have an opinion here?  I have never used Wifi-Radar.  But, as I
> expressed earlier, I am having problems with a range expander not working
> with linux (although it works fine with windows) - I assume it's something
> like a lease in the NM-Applet (the Gnome wireless Manager.)  And to answer
> the question of can't I just run cat5 - well then what's the point of
> wireless to begin with right?
>
> I use my laptop on our porch (enclosed porch) and it's at the opposite
> corner of the house.  I only get about 10% signal strength there without the
> range expander.
>
> So - has anyone used both of these and have preferences?  I know what
> NM-Applet is like.  It APPEARS that NOTHING allows you to actually scan and
> visually see available networks (as in the IBM app for windows where I can
> actually see my SSID twice, one with a higher signal strength.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benjamin Cathey
> System Administrator
> Cathey Company
> 4917 Tranter St.
> Lansing, MI 48910 USA
> Phone:     517.393.4720
> Fax:       517.393.4225
> Toll Free: 800.333.1972
> "Service is Our Profession"
>
> **********************
> **  LEGAL DISCLAIMER   **
>
> This E-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged,
> confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended
> recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this
> message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
> notify the sender and delete this E-mail message from your computer.

Jordan Robison