[GLLUG] OT: [PLEASE READ] Save Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Thu Oct 11 10:44:01 EDT 2007

The powers that be are going to start allowing metallic sulfide mining operations up in the UP unless enough opposition is received, please take a moment and copy and paste the info below into a letter and send to our government officials to help keep Michigan the beautiful state that it is.

Metallic Sulfide mining is very destructive and generates tons of pollution waste in the air and environment!! Read Below !!

*****************
[START LETTER]

[ENTER MAILING DATE]

Director Chester
DEQ Kennecott Comments
Office of Geological Survey
P.O. Box 30256
Lansing, Michigan 48909-1156

Dear Director Chester,

I oppose the proposed Kennecott sulfide mine beneath one of Lake Superior's key tributaries, the Salmon Trout River. These are some of the reasons:

Water: Discharge of acid-polluted water by a risky sulfide mine threatens two watersheds and the wildlife living there, aquifers and groundwater for thousands of people and Lake Superior, our country's largest source of fresh water.

Air: Discharge of at least 20 tons of toxic dust each year threatens surface water, forests, towns, cities and the health of the people and wildlife in the area and beyond. .Land: The region of the proposed mine is a Michigan treasure worthy of the protection required by Michigan laws. Some of this land and most of the minerals are owned by the people of Michigan. .Recreation: This unspoiled area draws sports enthusiasts, tourists and people to settle in our area.

Noise: Mine operation and truck noise threatens the health and safety of people and wildlife throughout the area.

Infrastructure: Heavy loads, truck traffic and acid fallout will destroy area roads, create a safety issue and higher taxes for residents in Northern Marquette County.

Economic: Declining property values and loss of tourism dollars will not be offset by 75 or even 200 short-term jobs.

THE LAW: The new mining law and regulations require the DEQ to reject any sulfide mining request unless the applicant demonstrates that it will not "pollute, impair or destroy" land, air, water, or groundwater. No such metallic sulfide mine has been documented, yet the Michigan DEQ has given preliminary approval to this permit. The new Michigan law has no enforcement provisions and Kennecott, on the EPA's list of worst polluters, will be self-monitoring its own pollution. The Michigan DEQ does not have staff or resources to protect Lake Superior from the effects of metallic sulfide mining. Please opposed this permit and protect our country's greatest lake, watershed and land belonging to the people of Michigan.

Sincerely,
[sign name and address]

Letters also addressed to:
Governor Jennifer M. Granholm
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909

Representative Steven Lindberg
S 1488 House Office Building
PO Box 30014
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7514

Representative Michael Lahti
S 1489 House Office Building
PO Box 30014
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7514

Representative Tom Casperson
Michigan House of Representatives
PO Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

State Senator Mike Prusi
515 Farnum Building
PO Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536

Representative Bart Stupak
2352 Rayburn Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Senator Debbie Stabenow
Upper Peninsula Office
1901 W. Ridge
Marquette, MI 49855

Senator Carl Levin
524 Ludington Street, Suite LL-103
Escanaba, MI 49829-3949

This information was pulled from:

http://earthworkmusic.com/ADVOCACY_letter.htm

Thanks

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company
4917 Tranter St.
Lansing, MI 48910 USA
Phone:     517.393.4720
Fax:       517.393.4225
Toll Free: 800.333.1972
"Service is Our Profession"

**  LEGAL DISCLAIMER   **

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this E-mail message from your computer.