Re: [GLLUG] Dual-Boot Copy?

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Wed Oct 31 08:52:33 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Houser

>->> I agree.  You can't top dd for image restoration and backup, but if you
>->> are just interested in the data, a filesystem level backup is much
>->> better.  If you can afford to just copy from one filesystem to another,
>->> I'd recommend creating the new partition then using rsync.  Otherwise,
>->> you are probably looking at tar archives.
>->>
>->> Personally, I'd recommend keeping as little information on FAT or NTFS
>->> as possible.  Although NTFS is a lot more stable than FAT, I have still
>->> seen plenty of filesystem corruptions.  The data will overall be much
>->> safer on reiserfs or ext3 with full journaling enabled.

Well, the windows side has to be NTFS.  I've never used rsync and wouldn't know the flags, etc to use it to begin with.

If I understand correctly, you are recommending creating the partitions on the new drive (using gparted or whatever) and then just using rsync (which I understand is like 'super copy' maybe xcopy vs copy in DOS terms) to migrate ALL the info from one drive to the next.  Partition to Partition.  And this will work with NTFS?  Could you give me and example of the command and what flags I would use (to not lose timestamps and file permissions.)

Also, what about the boot sector?

Thanks,

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company
4917 Tranter St.
Lansing, MI 48910 USA
Phone:     517.393.4720
Fax:       517.393.4225
Toll Free: 800.333.1972
"Service is Our Profession"

**  LEGAL DISCLAIMER   **

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this E-mail message from your computer.