[GLLUG] Dual-Boot Copy?

Michael Watters michael at watters.ws
Wed Oct 31 14:49:39 EDT 2007

Michael George wrote:
> Also, maybe I'm ol' school, but resizing a partition is not something I
> take lightly.  I think the potential for massive data loss is high.  IMHO,
> working within the filesystem is safer than doing tricks at the hardware
> level.  If I had a system that isn't critical, then I might view it
> differently, but currently all my systems are critical and I don't like to
> flirt with data loss on them.  YMMV.
>
> -Michael George

This is one reason people should use LVM, I've grown/shrank plenty of
file systems without an issue.  ext2 can even be resized online, I
believe xfs and jfs can as well.

I just did this yesterday actually, shrank a 150 GB ext3 volume down to
10 GB without a problem.

I wouldn't be doing this stuff without backups any way.