[GLLUG] New GLLUG Server

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Sep 6 09:33:09 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:59 -0400, Richard Houser wrote:

> Hey Everyone.
>
> Last Thursday, I got access to the BSD Jail that will run the new GLLUG
> server.  There is a ton of work to go, but we now have a basic Drupal
> install up and running on a temporary hostname.

Keen!

> Software Freedom Day is coming up fast, and I think it would be nice if
> we could manage to launch our new site with at least a small amount of
> content already present.  So, I'm asking for your help.
>
> We need "stories" (Drupal term) about who we are and what the group has
> done, directions to the meetings, information about what we are doing
> for SFD and why free software is so important to the community.  We also
> need any useful content from the old site identified and preferably
> migrated over.
>
> If you are serious about contributing some content to the website before
> SFD (and have an idea what content you would be willing to contribute),
> I can manually create an account for you so you can get started on that
> content.  Respond to this message and I'll email you an account name,
> login instructions, and a temporary password.  Please only respond if
> you are serious as I'll get all the automated registration stuff up in
> the next few weeks.

I'm happy to help with authoring content, migrating stuff over, or just
setting up in general.

Do you have any plans as far as the theme or look and feel? Shall we go
with a third-part theme or customize one of the defaults? One nice thing
about Drupal 5.x is that the default theme has a lot of room for
customization. In particular, the color scheme can be changed with
extreme ease.

One of my (unrealized) goals of the old GLLUG site was to have more
involvement from the group. We do cool projects and presentations all
the time, both as a group and individually, and it would nice to
document these publicly and share them with the greater Linux community.

One of the things I'd like to see most is a module or something that can
automatically send meeting announcements and reminders to the mailing
list instead of relying on humans to do it. :P

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com