[GLLUG] LAMP

Nathan Hartley nathan at ilothlorien.com
Thu Sep 13 09:28:25 EDT 2007

>> Easier yet, LAMP server is one of the options during the Ubuntu Server
installation.

> Does that require a subscription fee to get updates?

Nope, it is completely free. You can even have CD's mailed to you free. I
know, it sounds too good to be true, but I've been taking advantage of this
for about two years now.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory

The download page mentions how long they plan to offer support, which
includes the well maintained security updates.

 http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I didn't see this quote the other day..

Lower Total cost of ownership with automatic LAMP installation

In around 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server Edition,
you can have a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server up and ready to
go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server Edition, is available at the
time of installation.

The LAMP option means you don't have to install and integrate each of the
four separate LAMP components, a process which can take hours and requires
someone who is skilled in the installation and configuration of the
individual applications. Instead, you get increased security, reduced
time-to-install, and reduced risk of misconfiguration, all of which results
in a lower cost of ownership.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition

Does that require a subscription fee to get updates?

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:06:02 -0400
> Subject: RE: [GLLUG] LAMP
> From: nathan at ilothlorien.com
> To: exfed at hotmail.com
> CC: linux-user at egr.msu.edu
>
> > If I had debian or ubuntu could i just do apt-get like in this howto.
> > http://howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server
>
> Easier yet, LAMP server is one of the options during the Ubuntu Server
> installation.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/serveredition
>
> May not be as lean and mean as a custom built Gentoo server, but it is
> very easy to install and keep updated.

  _____

More photos; more messages; more whatever - Get MORE with Windows LiveT
HotmailR. NOW with 5GB storage. Get more!
<http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migrati
on_HM_mini_5G_0907>