[GLLUG] Re: linux-user Digest, Vol 53, Issue 23

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue Sep 18 10:14:52 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 03:07 -0400, Karl Schuttler wrote:
> As far as programs that 'emulate' Explorer, I highly recommend Total
> Commander. While the free version is shareware, the program is very,
> very good and has many neat features like built in ftp and lots of add
> on viewers. I don't condone software piracy, but here is a link to a
> full version if you know how to torrent.

It might have been a better idea to simply link to the product's website
so people can legally try out the shareware version to see if they like
it. That way, nobody gets the mistaken impression that GLLUG members
pirate commercial software.

http://www.ghisler.com/

Even better, we can provide Alfred with an open source alternative that
might fit his needs such as this one:

http://www.mucommander.com/

KDE4 applications will reportedly work in Windows as well and Konqueror
should be able to do everything Explorer can (or probably more) when
KDE4 is released in December. That sounds like the solution that Alfred
is looking for, but unfortunately it's not quite ready yet.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com